Tuesday, August 21, 2012

feminism

To claim I have a clear understanding of feminism and all it entails would simply be false.  I have to say, that despite my feminist leanings and my background of attending a women's college, I am 'feminism dumb'.  Meaning, that I have such limited knowledge of feminist critiques, feminist cannon, and more.  This is not to say I don't get the tenants of feminism (I do), but rather my ability to support my ideas around feminism (especially in regards to childbirth, mothering, homeschooling, etc) is completely non-existent.  Luckily, enter my 2nd graduate degree.

I am currently enrolled in a Master's of Fine Arts in Creative Non-Fiction down here in Georgia.  And while most of the courses I am expected to take are surrounding the understandings of prose, fictional and non-fictional writing, and teaching creative writing; I also am blessed to take a few literature courses.

This semester I am enrolled in 'Literary Women', a graduate seminar focused on the way in which women write about their experiences as women.  Well all be darned!  I do this all the time!  So to take a critical eye to the material and my writing should prove to be eye-opening.

This past week, we've been working through Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own.  Holy. Crud.  What a beautiful and confusing piece of work.  I have to say though, that I feel similarly to her.  A woman, to be happy, just needs a stable income and a place to create.

A few months back, I had neither.  And the innate sense of peace that has followed in gaining both has been marvelous.  


3 comments:

  1. I wandered over here from the ROTH blog, and had to comment on this post. I was an English major in my college days, and I always find myself expressing the opinion that one can't have gone through the literary criticism parts of an English major without emerging at least something of a feminist. My feminism sometimes looks different than others, because I have strong feelings about motherhood, raising children, etc—but it's still an important part of who I am. And in the end, isn't the purpose of feminism allowing women to have choices—whether that is to be a CEO or a SAHM?

    Anyway, your class sounds fabulous, and I wish you luck in your degree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cindy! Thanks for wandering on by.

    And yes! I totally agree that feminism is that women should have choices. Sadly, i think part of the initial feminist movement was to judge those who chose more 'traditional' roles in their lives. I certainly have felt that way with my friends as I explain how I plan to create my ideal vision for life.

    Hope you'll stick around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. I think that as women in general we do way too much judging! The career/motherhood wars, the mommy wars (breast vs. bottle/cloth vs. disposable/etc. etc. etc.). To me, feminism is about making sure that women have equal standing in the community, but ALSO making sure that women have the option to choose how to live their lives—even if that looks like a more traditional role.

      Delete