Tuesday, December 11, 2012

kitchari :: clean, veggie, delicious

I'm new to this whole posting my recipes thing so you'll have to forgive my lack of photos for the time being.  I *promise* I will start posting photos once I decide I want to pick up a camera again.

In celebration of the holidays I've been working on simplifying my diet, getting back to the basics, and focusing on what feels good to eat.  Not so much 'feels good' like I love the taste of it (damn you Dorritos) but feels good as in my belly is happy and not bloated and doesn't leave me with 4 hours of violent stomach cramps (may I say it again!?  Damn you DORRITOS!)  Enter Kitchari, the most simply delicious thing I have consumed in a few days (save for

Last night I dumped a cup of mung beans and a cup of Basmatti brown rice into a bowl.  And I left it to soak in water overnight while I happily dreamed about upcoming dinner parties, impending births of my clients, and the exam I had to give to my students in the morning.  

Around noon, after all the finals were complete and turn in (not graded mind you), I discarded the rinse water and through it in a pot with 4.5 cups of water and brought it to a boil.

Peeled some fresh ginger root, sprinkled in some curry powder, tumeric, and mixed up salt (Jane's Crazy will do just fine).  After about 30 minutes the rice was soft, the beans too, and the water was all gone.

Then I consumed a ton of it.  And it was lovely.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment